AV-Comparatives Security Survey 2023 published
AV-Comparatives has released the results of its annual IT Security Survey. The results are a snapshot of the current state of the antivirus sector. The opinions and preferences from the end user community provide us with valuable feedback. The results help us increase the relevance and value of anti-virus software testing. We want to thank all who join the surveys and spend their time to complete them.
The security survey can be seen here. Download PDF here.
We asked users about general questions about IT products (e.g. which operating systems and browsers they use), and about security products in particular. We also asked about AV testing labs and our tests.
Some key findings are:
- Free security programs are more popular with younger respondents, whilst older users are more likely to pay for a security solution.
- Kaspersky was found to be the most popular desktop security product worldwide, followed by Microsoft, Bitdefender, ESET. These four products also feature in the top five products on every continent.
- A majority of survey respondents were happy with their current security solution, with over 83% reporting that they were satisfied or very satisfied.
- Bitdefender is the most popular mobile security solution overall, with Kaspersky a close second. Bitdefender, Kaspersky, ESET and Avast (in order of popularity) are found in the top four on every continent.
- Windows 10 is still the most used OS with over 50% using it as their primary desktop operating system. However usage has decreased compared to last year due to the increase of Windows 11 users, with 38% of survey respondents now using this version of Windows.
- While the user base of Windows 11 is growing, over 80% of respondents do not plan on switching to the newest Version of Windows in the next six months. There are a variety of reasons for this, the most common being preferring Windows 10 and not meeting the hardware requirements.
- There has been a slight increase in iOS usage, which now accounts for almost a quarter of users. However, Android remains the most popular mobile OS by far and is used by almost three-quarters of survey participants.
Respondents were also asked which products (business and consumer) they would like to see tested by AV-Comparatives. The survey concluded with questions about the best-known and most trusted antivirus testing labs.
Like all AV-Comparatives’ public test reports, the IT Security Survey 2023 report is available for free here.