AV-Comparatives Security Survey 2024 published
AV-Comparatives has released the results of its yearly IT Security Survey. The findings illustrate users’ current preferences and concerns with regard to the field of cybersecurity. The opinions and preferences from the end-user community provide us with essential feedback. We would like to thank everyone who contributed their time by answering the questions.
We asked users some general questions about which IT products they prefer (e.g. their chosen operating systems and browsers), and about security products in particular – not only antivirus, but also VPNs, password managers, and parental control software. This year, there were also questions about the types of threat that users are most afraid of, and which countries they see as the most likely source of cyber-threats. We additionally asked what sources respondents use for information about antivirus software, and which factors they feel make for trustworthy AV testing labs.
Some key findings are:
- In spite of the availability of several free programs, over two-thirds of survey participants prefer to use paid desktop security programs.
- Older Windows versions are generally used more by non-expert users.
- As regards mobile operating systems, Android dominates globally, except in North America, where iOS holds an almost equal market share. Younger generations show a higher preference for iOS.
- Ransomware, malware, data breaches, and password compromises are top concerns, with notable fears about tracking and big tech corporations.
- China, Russia and the USA are perceived as the top three potential sources of cyberattacks (by either governments or individuals), reflecting geopolitical concerns.
- Users primarily rely on a select few reputable manufacturers for desktop anti-malware products, with Bitdefender, Kaspersky, Microsoft, and ESET being the most favoured worldwide.
- Bitdefender is the most popular mobile security solution overall, with Kaspersky a close second. Bitdefender, Kaspersky, ESET and Avast (in order of popularity) are found in the top four on every continent.
- Respondents were also asked which products (business and consumer) they would like AV-Comparatives to test. The top 5 most-requested business products here were from vendors that are popular in the consumer market too.
More findings and details are included in the full report. Like all AV-Comparatives’ public test reports, the IT Security Survey 2024 report is available free of charge, and without registration, here.